Your first choice is whether you chose a traditional agent or an online agent.
A traditional agent will have an office that you can visit and will often offer a much better service than an online agent and they will normally take care of the sale each step of the way in return for a fee when the sale goes through – otherwise known as a commission fee. Online agencies normally charge an up-front fee and they don’t have offices you can visit so, often you have to deal with a lot of the selling process yourself – using a traditional agent takes that stress away.
Here at Next Home we are Perthshire’s favourite traditional estate agent but, we thought we’d give you a few tips on how to pick the best agent for you!
- Start by making a shortlist of local agents
- Narrow down your choices; look at reviews, ask family and friends who they have used and who they would recommend
- Find out if they’re the right agent for you – go and visit them. See how they make you feel and how approachable they are. Always important when trying to get people through the door to view your property.
- Get several valuations. The actual valuation is likely to be similar, if not the same but, again it and will help you to assess the agency; how punctual are they, are they polite, professional and knowledgeable?
- Tell the agent what you need. If you need a quick sale then let them know. A good agent will be able to tailor their service to suit your needs. Be honest about your circumstances.
- Ask lots of questions. Ask the agent about their marketing techniques, what websites they have access to, if they have a ‘hot’ buyer bank in place to get people through the door to view straight away. A ‘hot’ buyer is someone that is ready purchase and is just waiting for a suitable property to become available, a good agency will pro-actively work your property and introduce it to potential buyers.
- Get the agent to explain what each fee is for and clarify when they’re due to be paid – understand what you’re paying for.
- Choose your agent. It’s true when they say people buy people. You’ll get an instinct for who you want to choose but assess which pricing structure and service is best for you.
Once you’ve made your decision call your agent and let them know the good news and then they’ll explain the next steps of putting your property on the market. If you’re thinking about selling your home then call our dedicated team of local property experts to get the ball rolling!